Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Travel: Donegal

I thought it would be funny to put an image of traditional Irish dress into my blog, but a google search turned up something much better.

This image comes via irish-guy.com with the caption, "Irish Traveller girls in Traditional Dress (12-07-2004) ." All the horse shit in the background really adds a nice touch.


Wait, wait! There is a point to all this. For memorial day weekend I am planning a romantic weekend getaway with my main squeeze to Donegal, Ireland. We were looking for something drivable from Belfast, and I had wanted Galway, but at 5 1/2 hours, it starts to seem like a bit much.

While I do do a good deal of walking in the city, my shoes may not be cut out for the country life. Stillettos are not designed for cobblestones, cliffs and loughs. Packing will be a challenge as I am more used to scaling steps into those hidden bars and to beat the crowds to the sample sales than treking through the countryside. I am open to suggestions as always - after all, a girl can only bring so much flannel before she loses herself completely.

1 comment:

  1. ha! great photo! did you ever watch that show "The Riches"? It was about a family of Irish Travelers in America- starring Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver? It was delightfully trashy and just smart enough- it only lasted 2 seasons though.

    ReplyDelete